Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Christmas Loot!

Happy New Year! Since we're back from our Christmas vacation, I thought I'd share some of the Christmas sewing loot I received. Aside from the books I'll be highlighting, I got a gift certificate to buy patterns on Etsy, a dressform (yes!), and a neat little sewing kit that organizes all my bobbins, thread, needles, etc.! Now, on to the books! I got 7, yes 7, sewing books all containing grided patterns!

Volia:

From left to right: Authentic Victorian Fashion Patterns by Kristina Harris, Corsets: Historical Patterns and Techniques by Jill Salen, The Voice of Fashion: 79 Turn-of-the-Century Patterns with Instructions and Fashion Plates by Frances Gimble, Women's Wear of the 1920s: With Complete Patterns by Ruth S. Countryman, Pattern Making: Drafting 1930s Lingerie, Blouses, Skirts, and Sportswear Fashion by Gertrude Mason, The Edwardian Modiste: 85 Authentic Patterns with Instructions, Fashion Plates, and Period Sewing Techniques by Frances Grimble, 59 Authentic Turn-of-the-Century Fashion Patterns by Kristina Harris.

Whew!

Each book is a gem! I've looked through the 1920s one the most. Its great! Remember how I said Vol. 2 of Patterns of Fashion is lacking in good, iconic, 1920s patterns? Well this book more than makes up for it! So many great patterns, including underthings. The 30s book is quite methodical. The instructions contained really help one to understand how to make a nicely-fitted pattern/garment. There are four different methods detailed for making 1930s clothing. The Victorian and Edwardian books, have sooooo many patterns, underthings included, excluding corsets. The corset book has patterns for corsets dating from the 1750s to 1918 I believe. Can not wait to make one of these patterns. Of course these patterns are taken from actual museum pieces so I'll have to adjust them to fit my more modern, ahem, shape :)

In other news, I'll be starting to sew a new dress. 1960s this time, from a Simplicity reproduction pattern:

(sewing.patternreview.com)

Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment